As we prepare to get back to our lessons next week, I’ve been prayerfully considering what to do and what to avoid this year. These are some things
- less is more. I don’t have to teach a lot to teach a lot.
- it depends a lot on my preparation as a teacher. I am not confident when I just open a book and try to teach. I must internalize what I am teaching.
- My kids need things in small bites, and our schedule reflects that.
- I don’t need lots of stuff (like teaching aids and such). It clutters and actually distracts us from learning.
- I must be sold out. I can’t be half-hearted in educating my kids.
- I need to plan things. I’m not good with a vague idea of how the year will go. If it’s not written down, I probably will not do it.
- I have to be careful not to overplan (see #1)
I am seeing what I can keep, what I can do differently and what I can simply let go of. That process really charges me up for the next year. I feel things are fresh again and I’m ready to take on another year.