Do you have health-related goals for the new year? You’re not alone. Over half of people each January make a resolution to improve their health. Netflix is notorious for binging goodness. We have all spent more time that we want to admit watching shows online. Netflix, Hulu, Amazon video, YouTube,
Disney—all these and more are vying for our time and attention. Its so easy to plop down in front of a screen to veg out, but did you know that you can use those streaming service’s powers for good and not for evil? Here are some ways you can get healthy–or at least healthier–this year.
- Use it as a reward. Only watch after you have worked out.
- Play a healthy version of a “drinking game.” Set triggers for exercise, e.g., every time the scene changes you have to do 5 push ups, or every time a particular word is said you do 5 sit ups. Or you can run in place until the scene changes. You can also use these triggers to take a sip of water or other healthy drink.
- Watch documentaries. You can watch docs about diet, nutrition, exercise, inspiration from history and more to educate yourself.
- Work out while it is on. Don’t turn on the streaming service unless you are going to exercise.
- Use it to time your workout. Choose episodes that are as long as you want to exercise.
- Find new workouts on YouTube or another service to keep things interesting and challenging.
- Refuse to watch while in bed. The electronic light from the screen can affect your ability to fall asleep.
- Refuse to eat while watching a screen. Mindless eating can sabotage your health and wellness goals.